Saturday 11 October 2008

If you're wondering how uni's going...

Herring, mackerel, pilchards, sardines... I’ve had it all. Leeds has been, I acknowledge, a whirlwind of Ethics, Prose, Ethnomusicology, Psychoacoustics lectures; Drawing and Samba dance lessons; sparkling gigs and spilt red wine, but nothing compares to slapping a bit of fish in the pan. Ooo yes: sardines + avocado in a pitta, a pasta-pilchard-tomato sauce combo, and the supreme mackerel rolled in flour, slowly fried + steamed potatoes a la Svenska... mmm jätte utsökt (very delicious)! It isn’t without reason that ours is nicknamed The Fish Flat.

Looking back at my diary from 20th Sept reveals a glaring pencil mess that shouts up at me to sort out my handwriting. It was a very busy and hectic time, moving to Leeds, and if things weren’t written down then they definitely wouldn’t be remembered. Let’s see...

i) Began writing for the Leeds Student (that’s its imaginative name) – same old thing: gigs and records.

ii) Joined the Scandinavian Society to prata Svenska, förhoppningsvis (speak Swedish, hopefully).

iii) Started work at Oxfam Bookshop Headingley – much larger and therefore more formal & disciplined than Thame’s quaint and friendly hovel.

iv) Leeds Festival Chorus which I will speak about if I pass my audition.

v) Discovered immense Spanish bar w/ flamenco, tango, reggaeton blasting out.

vi) Rinsed the library of its FREE dvds (and cds) which is good seeing I’d like to be a bit less ignorant about Film.

Am applying to be the Treasurer for my halls as my lack of worry about money is worrying (comparable to how I feel about exams sometimes) so the responsibility might make me into less of an idiot.

Found skype: pascalansell – do add me when you get the unavoidable urge to hear my voice and see my face.

It is early on but I feel confident enough to say that what LU are giving me to study, in the juggling balls above me that are my four subjects (English & Music degree of course you should know that, but I’m doing ‘elective’ modules in Drawing and Ethics this semester) that it’s all very stimulating and challenging.* Can’t really hope for more than that really. Already popped my head and hopefully the rest of my gangly frame (if I remember correctly) into the Careers Centre and there are a few very desirable roads that I could attempt to walk down. Methinks the map is in my hands but like Thick Boy, direction is not my forte. No, forget that, I’ve got drive and foresight like TB, but more like there are many desirable restaurants and parks that look pretty appetising before Vocation Hill, just beyond Ridiculously Extended Metaphor Street.

One of the best things about doing Joint Honours is that you are surrounded by various lecturers and all different sorts of people: proto-artists, philosophers, writers, musicians and composers. The variety is brilliant; my intention was to keep the dilettante in me fed. In other words, my motivation and mental stamina won’t wane as different parts of the brain are used from one lecture to the other. Thursday = Drawing in Leeds City Art Gallery at 10.00, Prose: Reading & Interpration seminar at 13.00, ditto lecture at 16.00 and Introduction to Ethics tutorial at 17.00.

Anyone interested in my love life will be pleased to know that Mary Midgley, senior Lecturer at the University of Newcastle has toppled me head over heels with her paper ‘Trying Out One’s Sword’** where she bites hold of pathetic ‘moral isolationalists’ (i.e. moral relatavists), throws them about a bit and dumps them in the insipid and hypocritical puddle where they originated. Hmmf.

I miss being in a band so am currently writing songs about the joy of vacuuming (surely if you sing it while carrying out the awful process it turns fun?) and trains and all that...

Many Christians in my halls. I know. I’m fine, don’t worry... But seriously, they are all lovely and the number of The Big Debate debates I’ve debated and stories related equates to a head-aching figure. I’ve been shown Ecclesiastes which is a good’un but the ‘Free Church’ or Evangelism is certainly not an aspect of Christianity I am drawn to at all. Most if not all of my Christian neighbours (that sounds very biblical –they are actually my neighbours) appear reluctant to be part of any denomination so the ‘Free Church’ sweeps them away with rock music, lights and praise, praise, praise. Apologies for any offence, and if this has rattled you a bit then let me know your thoughts.

On a lighter and less cynical note, my halls, North Hill Court, is fantastic. 80 people, very close-knit atmosphere which fulfils the plastic Sister Sledge cliché. It is one big happy family which we are all (Malaysians, Brits, Spaniards, Slovakians) part of. I’ve got that song in my head now. Great.

Pascal xx

The Fish Flat

Leeds

*Here’s a little dip into the ‘Semiotics of Music’ – v. witty and not too implausible: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LGryk2gaZzI

** http://iona.ghandchi.com/newsword.htm

4 comments:

mishka said...

Pascal, I am pleased you´ve mentioned me in your blog (and spanish girls as well and of course all the other international people...) I think I will write sth about you in my note as well... ;)haha. nice blog.

Padger said...

This fish thing must be in the genes. When I was a student in the early seventies, I remember arriving home somewhat the worse for wear, and ravenous, at about 3:00am. All I could find to eat was a tin of pilchards and a tin of Heinz vegetable salad. It was delicious of course, but you will not be surprised to learn that I renewed my acquaintance with it a couple of hours later. I've never mixed pilchards and veg salad ever since.

claireanlage said...

Sorry to disappoint you but you really aren't offensive at all.
(Claire)

Philip said...

Hello Nipper. What a bloody good blogger you are. Most interesting if sometimes over my precious wee head.
I am very pleased that you are embracing university life. It was made for a boy like you. If only others had your attitude to learning - me too when I was your age.
I will visit you in the new year, January would be ideal. I take it there is space. You'll have to show me how to do that fish dish, sounds tastilicious.

See you Christmas if not before. I'm visiting Thomas in Paris for my birthday.

Much love, Philip